firstname.lastname@example.org Social Science 116 | MWF 12:35-1:30 PM
Office Hrs: M 10:20 - 11:20 & F 1:30 - 3:30 Social Science 60S
Friday, September 8
- Academic Honesty quiz Sept 11
- Objects paper due Monday Sept 25 (BB)
- OPTIONAL feedback via Blackboard
Atlantic islands colonization
- Christianization as justification
- commodification of labor =/= commodification of people
- first "triangle trade"
1494 Treaty of Tordesillas and papal Inter Caetera
Taylor, New Spain
- what factors does Taylor argue were key to the Spanish conquest?
- how did Native people adapt to life under Spanish rule?
- why was the "Black Legend" useful to other European powers?
- "imperial" consolidation 1400 - 1520
- dissolution of the Triple Alliance
- centralization of power with tributary city states
- cult of Huitzilopochtli and integration of new gods in alliances
the conquest of Mexico
- several hundred conquistadors - and thousands of Tlaxacalan and Texcocoan warriors
- escalating hostage crises - La Noche Triste
- small pox outbreak and internal politics
- Siege of Tenochtitlán - abandonment of just war tactics
The Conquest of Tenochtitlán
Taylor, Spanish Frontier
- why were the Spanish less successful outside of central Mexico?
- how did Native people attempt to get rid of initial Spanish incursions?
- why did colonial administrators and missionaries sometimes disagree?
northern New Spain
- Taylor, pg 71
- southern extent of old Cahokian influence
- ethnogenesis and coalition of new confederacies
- Counter Reformation
- inner conversion follows outer conversion - civil and Christian
agriculture and environment
1680 Pueblo Revolt
- suspicion of conversos
- environmental change - livestock droughts
- traditionalist revivalism
- pre-contact politics + 80 years of cultural change
- syncretic religious practice post-revolt and semi-independence