Slavery & Social Control
email@example.com Social Science 116 | MWF 12:35-1:30 PM
Office Hrs: M 10:20 - 11:20 & F 1:30 - 3:30 Social Science 60S
Monday, September 18
- Objects paper due Monday Sept 25 (BB)
- OPTIONAL feedback via Blackboard today!
- EC: Sept 28 11:30 Hum 230 Charlottesville roundtable
- enforcing social control
- slavery in New York
- why do colonies fail
slavery in New York
- baptism at birth or baptism as adults?
- reading & writing: religion, skill, or rebellion?
- property rights: intermarriage, white indentured servants?
- military service for freedom?
African culture in NY
- Indian/African interaction: runaways vs. buffer
- 1664 Duke's Laws: burials, gatherings, church service, trades
- injury, malnutrition & stress markers: women and children
- research ethics for Native American, African American, and European communities
African Burial Ground
African Burial Ground
runaway slave ads
- lusty: healthy
- likely: talented, smart
- yellow/mulatto: light skinned (derogatory)
- what language do they speak and what does that tell us about where they've been?
- how much clothing did they take with them? what does their clothing say about their previous work?
- what do their skills say about their previous work?
- is this the first time they've run away or disobeyed?
- San Miguel (Georgia), 1526 - slave revolt
- San Juan (North Carolina), 1527 - abandonment
- Cap-Rouge (Quebec City), 1541 - cold & Indians
- Fort Caroline (Florida), 1564 - Spanish conquest
- Ajacan (Maryland), 1570 - Indians & slave revolt
- Sable Island (Nova Scotia), 1598 - convicts & cold
- Popham (Maine), 1607 - cold & internal conflict
- Providence Island (Nicaragua), 1631 - starvation & conquest
- New Sweden (New Jersey/Delaware), 1638-1655 - conquest
- Croatoan: Amelia Erheart, Edgar Allen Poe, ghostships!
- internal conflict or disease
- corporate sabotage
- the Dare Stones
causes of failure?
- poor supplies, poor location, conflict with Indians
- Spanish attack or Indian integration
- 1584-1587 driest period in 800 years
- hurricanes and shoreline location
- inspiration for Shakespeare's Tempest?
why do colonies fail
- lack of supplies
- poor location, bad weather
- few laborers, few women
- conflict with Indians or European neighbors