Canada, Iroquoia & New Netherland
email@example.com Social Science 116 | MWF 12:35-1:30 PM
Office Hrs: M 10:20 - 11:20 & F 1:30 - 3:30 Social Science 60S
Monday, September 11
- Objects paper due Monday Sept 25 (BB)
- OPTIONAL feedback via Blackboard
- Check Taylor's bibliography
Basque fishing - 1460s?
- ritual cannibalism - French & Huron sources (pg103)
- trade dependency vs existing politics (pg104 & 112)
- romantic vs rational motivations (pg93-98)
- emphasis on alcohol & gun trade (pg105-107)
Taylor, Canada & Iroquoia
- how did French Catholic and Spanish Catholic conversion tactics differ?
- why did Native people seek out European trade?
- how did trade amongst Europeans and Native people impact the relationships between tribes?
Fort Nassau, Fort Orange, Beverwijck
- 1614 - second oldest continuously occupied city in NA
- site of Mohawk-Mahican trade
- long history of intermarriage & translation
- unique jurisdictional precedent - who tries cross-cultural crimes?
- purchase of Manhattan - purchase of Albany
types of unfreedom
- Iroquois adoption - population expansion
- French "Panis" - interior exploration
- Dutch Esopus War, 1639 - just war
- Iroquois French galley slaves, 1685 - punitive
- African enslavement: 24 in Jamestown 1607 & 300 in New Amsterdam 1625
- New Netherland's "half-freedom" - corporate slavery