firstname.lastname@example.org Social Science 116 | MWF 12:35-1:30 PM
Office Hrs: M 10:20 - 11:20 & F 1:30 - 3:30 Social Science 60S
Wednesday, October 11
- Argumentation paper Oct 27
- History honors society
- UA Puerto Rico relief: http://www.albany.edu/relief/
- Student Care Services at (518) 442-5501
- Friday: Atlantic World & early 18th century connections
- Monday: Lepore
- fantastic sources & where to find them
- New England is weird!
- cultural background
- war & violence 1634-1676
what is a scholarly source?
- based on primary sources
- cites support for all sources and claims
- peer reviewed - verified by other experts
- specific info & big questions
- google scholar :(
how do you know?
- author's credentials
- provides citations
- who's the publisher?
- who's the audience?
- why is the information presented?
how does history work?
(and who cares?)
- history is a social construct!
- scholars disagree about why & how
- reviews tell you what another scholar thinks
- Taylor & Dr. Kane disagree re: Iroquois
- need to know what happened to evaluate why & how it happened
New England exceptionalism
- American exceptionalism
- family-based immigration, lower mortality rate
- politically & religiously motivated rather than economically
- poverty inhibits spread of slavery, economy dependent on West Indies
- religious rather than economic basis for racialization
Protestant work ethic
- Max Weber, 1904
- fear of unemployment & masterless men
- worldly success a sign of God's favor & predestination
- rejection of deeds as cause of salvation (too Catholic) - instead deeds as evidence of salvation
- civic moral purity prerequisite to Second Coming
family structure & government
- coverture - wife becomes legally part of the husband
- "little commonwealth" - husband head of government
- women as "deputy husbands"
- companionate marriage, bundling & premarital sex
Pequot War - 1634-1638
- Pequots v. Wampanoag + Narragansett + Mohegans + English
- principle currency wampum - colonies dependant on Native allies for food and money
- grave robbing and cash shortage
- English pirate John Stone stole and murdered for wampum
- who has jurisdiction?
Pequot War - 1634-1638
- modeled on Spanish missions
- civility necessary for conversion
- confinement to towns frees up land - precursor to reservations
- "not for the love of God but the love of the place"
the big picture
- inter-colonial conflict requires reliance on Native allies
- economic reliance on plantation slavery in all colonies
- religious & moral overtone to Indian war
- suspicion of all Native people