1759: Annus Mirabilis
email@example.com Social Science 116 | MWF 12:35-1:30 PM
Office Hrs: M 10:20 - 11:20 & F 1:30 - 3:30 Social Science 60S
Wednesday, November 15
- final presentations
- the war in Europe, Asia & Africa
- shifts in Britain & the Ohio
- Annus Mirabilis
- Dec 4-11 - schedule on Bb
- attendance is part of your final grade!
- 5-8 minutes - notes ok!
- PPT/images optional - email night before
- your main argument, 1-2 points that illustrate your point, the major thing that you learned
War in Europe & Asia
- naval vs. land advantage
- where does the money come from? plantation slavery
- where's Spain? - old Bourbon alliance
- colonial legislatures refuse to pay for things!
- how to get colonial buy in? literally buy things
- 1758: Bradstreet's success at Frontenac - 100 vs 3000
- 1758: Forbes & Washington's success at Duquesne - 600 vs 6000
- Neolin's revival - anti-European, anti-Iroquois
- pan-Indian nativism: white, black, and Indian should be separate
- control of routes through Iroquoia & supply lines to Canada
La Belle Famille
- 1759 campaigns: Niagara, Oswego, Quebec
- importance of Iroquois diplomacy
- last connection to French interior
- turning of French Indian allies
Plains of Abraham
Annus Mirabilis - 1759
- Battle of Quebec: Montcalm vs. Wolfe & irregular troops
- Lagos, Madras, Guadeloupe
- 1762: war against Spain
- success in the Caribbean
Death of General Wolfe
Peace of Paris - 1763
- save Louisiana!
- Canada vs. Guadeloupe - which is worth more?
- "Je me souviens" - memory of the Acadiens
- what to do with Canada & the Ohio country?