La Guerre Sauvage
email@example.com Social Science 116 | MWF 12:35-1:30 PM
Office Hrs: M 10:20 - 11:20 & F 1:30 - 3:30 Social Science 60S
Monday, November 13
- how to adapt to North America
- who's on what side?
- how are civilians treated?
Anderson, Pt 2
- how did Shirley and Johnson cause problems for each other's campaigns? 74-78
- why were the Acadians removed after the second siege of Louisbourg? 84-87
- how did Montcalm expect the siege of Fort Edward to proceed? 109-112
- lessons from Washington's defeat: bring everything!
- Braddock's Road & styles of warfare
- Washington's redemption & retreat on the road
- loss of Ohio Valley Indian allies
Albany Congress & Plan of Union 1754
- lessons of previous wars
- need for cooperation & protection from Indian allies
- a unified government?
- limited to northern & border states
- "narrowly provincial, mutually jealous, and suspicious of taxing authority"
Albany Plan of Union
Shirley vs. Johnson vs. Abercromby vs. Albany
- Shirley vs. Johnson - competition for white & Native troops, supplies, money
- Shirley & Johnson vs. Abercromby - regular Army discipline & order
- Albany - Montreal trade & suspicion of Dutch & Germans & Scots
- Albany & NY frontier - key to NYC & British North America
advantage & disadvantage
- French: professional military, sparse population
- British: numbers, ideological motivation
- French: control of key geography, no need to defend civilians
- British: vulnerable civilian population, long undefended frontier
Vaudreuil vs. Montcalm
- loss of Oswego/Ft. Ontario - 1756
- Vaudreuil's reliance on Indian allies vs. Montcalm's military honor
- Montcalm: defensive war of attrition, professional troops
- Vaudreuil: British numbers & naval strength
Fort William Henry
- results of Battle of Lake George - 1755
- anti-infantry, not anti-artillery design
- Montcalm's military honor - rejection of Indian diplomacy
- capture & killing of retreating British
- British outrage, Montcalm's refusal to use Indian allies
what kind of war is this?
- removal of the Acadians 1755 & 1758
- who can be British? anti-Catholic, anti-French
- are Indian allies controllable?
- who decides the course of the war